Egene Koo

login  

작가 노트 2009 / Artist's Statement 2009
 구이진 /  20110901 
나는 일상의 왜곡된 표면에서 삶의 본질적 가치와 의미를 놓친 채 부조리들을 유발하며 몸부림치는 마음의 솔직한 얼굴을 보고 싶었다. 그러기 위해서는 불편한 진실에 대한 두려움으로 인해 거짓말과 합리화를 일삼는 자아의 가면에 속아 넘어가지 않도록 이끌어주는 매개자가 필요했다. 이런 매개자로서 옛 이야기들은 지혜롭게 늙었지만 여전히 어린아이처럼 순수한 현자의 모습으로 시간과 공간, 그리고 개인과 집단을 동시에 아우르면서 보다 온전한 성장 여행으로서 삶의 어느 과정을 압축적으로 그린다. 이 여정 속에서 자신의 어린 내적 자아를 만나는 것은 흔히 생각하듯 천진난만하고 향수어린 동심의 차원이 아니라, 미성숙한 현실의 빛과 그림자를 동시에 대면하는 일이다. 있는 그대로 자아의 모습을 발견하고 수용하며 삶의 다음 발걸음을 내딛는 것은 분명 중요하고 경이로운 탐험이지만 동시에 두렵고 고통스러운 일이기도 하다. 그래서 성장과 변화를 갈망하면서도 여린 나의 내면 자아들은 아직도 머뭇거리고 있나 보다.

I wanted to look at the real face of mind struggling to capture something essential of human life in distorted everyday situations. In doing so, I needed a proper mediator who would be able to lead me not to be deceived by my own distorted ego that always creates lies in fear of discovering the inconvenient truth of life. A good old story could play its role both as a very old wise man and as an innocent child. It retells a part of the journey called life towards inner growth. On the way, the encounter with various inner children doesn’t mean to be something merely innocent and nostalgic. It is about the reality with bright and dark sides. Obviously, it is essential to understand and accept myself as I am to take a new step of life. However, it will be also fearful and painful. This might be the reason why my vulnerable inner beings always hesitate even though they are eager to grow and change.

list reply